Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday March 16, 2008 - Sunday Services Cumberland Ward

Sacrament Meeting
The bishop read a letter from the first presidency. The letter stated that they were concerned about the financial situation of the members of the church. It stated that we should avoid debt, especially consumer debt, and also risky financial investments. It stated that all investments are risky, but that risk can be mitigated to some degree by adhering to proven financial principles, avoiding debt, and being wise.

1st Speaker
She took points of her talk from a talk give by Elder John B. Dickson of the Seventy at the April 2007 General Conference.

We are here for a purpose. God has given us the plan of salvation and we need to be working for our purpose and not get distracted by the other things of the world or the things that our society presents to us. We should commit ourselves to the Lord's pattern. Psalm 37:5 - "aCommit thy bway unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. "

Elder Dickinson related that there was one who had already committed to not drink alcohol , so every time he was offered in a business setting he did not have to think about it what he should do.

2nd Speaker
1st speaker had stated that she was nervous. The 2nd speaker stating that he was not nervous because he is a high school teacher and he knows no one is listening to him.

Matt 11:28 - "28 ¶ aCome unto me, all ye that blabour and are heavy laden, and I will give you crest."

He quoted the second verse of Master, the Tempest Is Raging (Hymns 105)
"Master, with anguish of spirit
I bow in my grief today.
The depths of my sad heart are troubled.
Oh, waken and save, I pray!
Torrents of sin and of anguish
Sweep o’er my sinking soul,
And I perish! I perish! dear Master.
Oh, hasten and take control!"

Luke 9:6 - "And they departed, and went through the towns, preaching the agospel, and healing every where." Although healing is limited to the Savior's will.

Mosiah 24:14-15 -
" 14 And I will also ease the aburdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as bwitnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their cafflictions.
15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did astrengthen them that they could bear up their bburdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with cpatience to all the will of the Lord."

Sunday School
Book of Mormon - Lesson 10
2 Ne 26-30
The Pride Cycle and Priestcraft

I had a little trouble gathering my thoughts, so for Sunday school I just wrote what notes I gathered from the teacher and class discussion.

It is good to be proud of what your family has done or what not, but it is more correct to be happy and thankful.

You do not enter the kingdom of God except you are as a little child.

It is good to be proud to be a member of the church. It is wrong when that moves to feeling you are better than others that are not members of the church.

The Lord never forgets those that are unrighteous, but his attention is keenly focused on those that are righteous.

Paul was passionate that what he was doing was correct even though he was on the wrong path. The Lord appeared to him to correct his perspective. Paul then changed and was just as passionate, if not more, in the truly correct path.

A dimension of Priestcraft is that they teach that we need no further revelation and we have everything we need from God to guide our lives.

Our guilt will come to us in the end because of the things that we rationalize that have kept us from becoming like Jesus.

If you say that you are not coming back to church while so and so is there, who does that hurt? The person you have a problem with or you?

When one is pulled in because of the flash of a church rather than whether it can bring them to Christ robs the poor in spirit. One loses their guidance from God in order to be entertained.

There are charities to help the poor where the leaders of the charities draw huge salaries.

All is not well in Zion when half of us don't come to church.

We get comfortable and we don't pay attention to the things dragging us away and then things get hard and we have to be humbled. This is the pattern of man or the pride cycle. Eventually if we don't learn from that it can lead to destruction.

It is not enough to come on Sunday and do nothing with it the rest of the week.

Priesthood
Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith
Chapter 5: Repentance
I had to leave early so I did not get any notes from class.

Primary
My one son gave a scripture in primary. Enos 1:4 - "And my soul ahungered; and I bkneeled down before my Maker, and I ccried unto him in mighty dprayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens. "

My other son gave a talk in primary. He read the summary from picture 240 of the Gospel Art Picture Kit - Jesus the Christ. - "The gospel of Jesus Christ can bring us peace. As we follow the example of Jesus and do what He has taught us to do, we are blessed with the influence of the Holy Spirit. During times of trouble or when we feel afraid, the Holy Ghost will be with us, and we can feel this peace in our hearts. The Holy Ghost helps us remember Jesus and obey His teachings."

No comments: