- The general Relief Society meeting will be on Saturday, September 27, 2008, at 6:00 p.m., mountain daylight time.
- General Conference will be held October 4-5. The priesthood session will be shown at our stake center.
Chapter 17: The Great Plan of Salvation p.206–16
Leaving the principles of the doctrines of Christ does not let us go on unto perfection. Joseph Smith said that the work not had been removed from before the word leaving to have it read"1 Therefore not leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God."
We talked about why God gives us things without giving us everything. For example, details about the spirit world we lived in before we came to Earth. A couple of points came to my mind when as we talked about it that I include here below.
- The Bible states "In the beginning..." This is the beginning of the Earth, not the beginning of everything. So the things that God reveals to us generally have to deal with Earth life and how we are supposed to get through it and a small bit about what is to come after this life. The things in the scriptures are generally for this finite experience.
- I have not yet studied particle physics because I'm not ready yet. I have not studied all of the preparatory things I need to be able to understand those more advanced things. Perhaps as I learn more about the things I need to learn in my life and I learn more of the basic things of particle physics I may study more about advanced things. For right now, me knowing or not knowing all about particle physics does not help me achieve my life goals.
- I am a convert to the Church. When I first joined the Church some things confused me and even shook my testimony because I didn't understand basic doctrines. Many of those things are doctrines that today I feel are very simple and easy to understand.
Book of Mormon Lesson 36: “On the Morrow Come I into the World” p.160
3 Nephi 1-7
The teacher shared a story about two guys that could somehow see evil spirits. They went to this city and the one guy stated that the city must be a very righteous city since he had only seen one devil there. The other guy knew more about the city said that the city was so wicked that it only took one devil to keep it in subjection. They came upon a man that was surrounded by seven large devils. The first man stated that he must be a very wicked man. The second man who knew the man with the devils around him stated that he was the only righteous man in the city and it took seven of the strongest devils to try to tempt him and they still could not slow down his works of righteousness.
We talked about Samuel the Lamanite prophesying about the signs that would be given to signify the birth of Christ.
3 Nephi 1:5-7, 9
9 Now it came to pass that there was a day set apart by the aunbelievers, that all those who believed in those traditions should be bput to death except the csign should come to pass, which had been given by Samuel the prophet.
The nonbelievers were:
- Telling the people that the time had past.
- Creating a great uproar that the prophesies were not true.
- Condemning the believers to be put to death if the sign didn't come by a certain date.
Even though the signs had been given and they were wonderous still Satan was able to get people to teach the people that the signs were not a sign from God, but there was some other explanation.
3 Nephi 1
22 And it came to pass that from this time forth there began to be alyings sent forth among the people, by Satan, to harden their hearts, to the intent that they might not believe in those bsigns and wonders which they had seen; but notwithstanding these lyings and deceivings the cmore part of the people did believe, and were converted unto the Lord.
The harder you work at collecting light and knowledge when you have it, the more you can see during the dark times.
A missionary that just returned from a mission to Eugene Oregon.
He talked of being of service to others.
He quoted from Elder Jeffery R. Holland's talk “Witnesses unto Me”.
"As the resurrected Jesus concluded His earthly ministry, He gave this paramount charge to His Apostles and those who would follow them:
'Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.' 1
'Ye shall receive power, … and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.' 2"
He talked about being a missionary through living the gospel.
"Above all else we can live the gospel. Surely there is no more powerful missionary message we can send to this world than the example of a loving and happy Latter-day Saint life. The manner and bearing, the smile and kindness of a faithful member of the Church brings a warmth and an outreach which no missionary tract or videotape can convey."
He spoke of enduring to the end.
- 9 But behold, I say unto you that ye must apray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall bpray unto the Father in the cname of Christ, that he will dconsecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the ewelfare of thy soul.
- Ancient battles lasted we hand to hand combat and lasted for many hours or even all day. If you lacked endurance, no matter your skill with the sword, you would lose.
From the Bulletin:
"How do you involve God?" You ask. - Unknown
In happy moments, praise God.
In difficult moments, seek God.
In quiet moments, worship God.
In painful moments, trust God.
And in every moment, thank God. - Anonymous
President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency: "The purpose of God’s creations and of His giving us life is to allow us to have the learning experience necessary for us to come back to Him, to live with Him in eternal life. That is only possible if we have our natures changed through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, true repentance, and making and keeping the covenants He offers all of His Father’s children through His Church." (Education for Real Life, Ensign, October 2002, 16).
We can make things so much easier.
Elder L. Tom Perry, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, stated "First, we need to be obedient to the laws of the Lord. This is one of the first lessons taught to Adam and Eve: obedience brings faith. It brings forth the blessings of heaven. Disobedience brings forth heartache and despair. (D&C 82:10)
Following the law of obedience comes the requirement to give of ourselves in service to our Father in Heaven's children. Sacrificing what we have to benefit our brothers and sisters is the crowning test of the gospel. One of the purposes of the mortal experience is to see if we will follow the Savior's counsel to "seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33).