Doctrine and Covenants 4
3 Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are acalled to the work;
The lesson was based on Daughters of God by Elder M. Russell Ballard.
Elder Ballard stated, "I surely know that there is no role in life more essential and more eternal than that of motherhood.
"There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children."
Four Questions He Posed
- What can you do, as a young mother, to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family more?
- What more can a husband do to support his wife, the mother of their children?
- What can children, even young children, do? Now, you children, please listen to me because there are some simple things you can do to help your mother.
- What can the Church do?
- Every member of the family needs to be involved in household responsibilities (father and children too). Hard work up front brings big payoffs. This is much like getting kids to sit still in church. Hard work for a year or two, but big payoffs as the child grows and as more kids come.
- Sometimes just listening to our wives and not trying to fix the problem is fixing it.
- Don't over schedule yourselves or your children.
- Tell each what you appreciate about each other. Husbands to wives. Wives to husbands. Parents to children. Children to parents.
Book of Mormon Lesson 37: “Whosoever Will Come, Him Will I Receive” p164
The teacher asked, "If you were to give out a Book of Mormon where in it would you have them read first?" Here are some that people came up with:
- 3 Nephi 11 - Christs appearance to the people on this side of the world after his resurrection.
- The Introduction at the beginning of the Book of Mormon - Tells a little about what the book is about (Jesus' dealing with the people on the ancient American continents and the people are descendants of Israel through his son Joseph).
- Alma 7 - The Atonement.
- 1 Nephi - The people of the Book of Mormon came from Jerusalem. They are descendants of Israel.
- Helaman 14:21-23 - Rocks shall be rent. Face of the earth will be changed at Savior's death.;3 Nephi 8:5-7, 17-18 - Prophecy fulfilled.
- Helaman 14:24;3 Nephi 8:8-10, 14 - Highways broken up and cities desolate.
- Helaman 14:20, 27;3 Nephi 8:20-21 - Darkness for three days.
The Lord is giving us instructions on what we need to do to be prepared in this life now, what is yet coming, and in the life to come. Yet people scoff and continue to try to do it their way. Even those of us that say we believe, do many things our own way instead of doing it the Lord's way.
They read a letter from the first presidency on political participation.
A stake high councilman read a letter from the stake presidency - Stake center remodeled. Forest Green ward will be meeting in our building until the remodeling is completed.
She talked about the power of fasting. She said that years ago her sister was diagnosed as not being able to bear children. Their entire family fasted and now her sister has three kids.
1st Adult Speaker
Prayer is an opportunity to speak to God and not just God but our father. Would we not think it great to be able to speak to certain famous people and yet we can speak to GOD any time we want.
5 aIf any of you lack bwisdom, let him ask of God, that cgiveth to all men liberally, and dupbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
"Nothing wavering" and we have to act.
She used Elder Bednar's conference talk Ask in Faith on prayer in her talk. "Asking in faith requires honesty, effort, commitment, and persistence. Let me provide an illustration of what I mean and extend to you an invitation."
2nd Adult Speaker
People don't generally join the church because of something the missionaries said. They usually join because of what they see in the lives of some member.
3rd Adult Speaker
He spoke of going back to Russia last week. He served his mission there. He had been the trainer of the guy that spoke before him when he was on his mission. They are both now living in our ward as normal members.
He shared a story about talking to a lady in Russia recently when he was over there. She asked how he learned Russian. He asked if she had seen the guys in white shirts walking around. She said that she had and that she wanted to talk to them for months, but people told her they knew what they were about and that they were part of a cult.
He quoted someone that said, "If you see people throwing stones at a mango tree you know the tree is bearing good fruit."
From the Bulletin
Elder Oaks of the Quorum of Twelve shares this about sharing the restored Gospel: First, we must have a firm testimony of the truth and importance of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. This includes the supreme value of God's plan for His children, the essential position of the Atonement of Jesus Christ in it, and the role of the The Church of Jesus Christ in carrying out that plan in mortality.
Second, we must have a love of God and for all of His children. In modern revelation we are told that "love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify [us] for the work" (D&C 4:5. The early Apostles of this dispensation were told that their love should "abound unto all men" (D&C 112:11).
Third, we must pray for the Lord's help directions so we can be instruments in His hands for one who is now ready -- one He would have us help today. Then, we must be alert to hear and heed the promptings of His Spirit in how we proceed.
Fourth, we begin by beginning. We should not wait for a further invitation from heaven. Revelation comes most often when we are on the move.
We must be sure we act out of love and not in any attempt to gain personal recognition or and encouraging investigators.
Leave a piece of Church literature...or send them to www.mormon.org.
The gospel of Jesus Christ is the brightest light and the only hope for this darkened world. "Wherefore," as Nephi teaches, "we must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men." (2 Nephi 31:20).
Insert in the Bulletin
This fast Sunday we are preparing to start our new Sullivan Hollow Ward mission plan. Among our prayers this fast Sunday please have a special prayer and fast for the following things:
- Pray to be willing an fearless about opening your own heart and mouth to those around us,
- Pray for "collisions" with people whom the Lord wants you to talk to,
- Pray to understand the needs of those names or the people you will run into, and
- Pray to know how you can take care of those needs and how to invite them to become acquainted with the Church.