Sunday, November 22, 2009

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah November 11-22-09

Mosiah 2:41
  41 And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and ahappy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they arebblessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out cfaithful to the end they are received into dheaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.

Joseph Smith was a man. We do not worship him. We do not worship him anymore and Protestants worship Moses, Elijah, or Paul.

"I have intended my remarks for all, both rich and poor, bond and free, great and small. I have no enmity against any man. I love you all; but I hate some of your deeds. I am your best friend, and if persons miss their mark it is their own fault. If I reprove a man, and he hates me, he is a fool; for I love all men, especially these my brethren and sisters." (Joseph Smith Jr., The King Follett SermonDocumentary History of the Church, volume 6, pages 302–17.)

Doctrine and Covenants 1:38
  38 What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my aword shall not pass away, but shall all be bfulfilled, whether by mine own cvoice or by the dvoice of my eservants, it is the fsame.

Revelations and miracles generally operate with subtlety. One must pay attention to recognize them.

What about the gospel makes you happy?

Some comments were based on Elder Neil L. Andersen's Conference talk, “Repent . . . That I May Heal You”

Repentance is like a trip to Disneyland. It is a struggle to get there, but it is worth the trip. Earning money for the trip, packing, kids fighting in the car, numerous potty breaks.

Repenting is like running into the wind or swimming upstream.

Our human reflex is to go on the defensive end and the offense. Often focusing on the weaknesses of others rather than working on repairing our own and listening.

The Lord allows us to remember our sins that we do not repeat them.

When was the last time he expressed intense gratitude to someone?

Luke 17:11-18

  11 ¶ And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee.

  12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were alepers, which stood afar off:

  13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.

  14 And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the apriests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.

  15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,

  16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him athanks: and he was a Samaritan.

  17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten acleansed? but where are the bnine?

  18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.

I don't know a lot about physics, but I know enough that I apply my brakes sooner when it is snowing. I know enough about physics that I am more cautious on a ladder that I am on the ground. I know these things through having lived life. I don't understand every point of the gospel, but I have lived enough to know this church is the place I need to be to figure it out. People try to separate science and religion, but I think perhaps religion is another branch of science.  Physics, mathematics, and biology each by themselves do not answer all of life's questions.  All of them must be used.  Religion also needs to be added to our knowledge to be able to understand all things.

From the Bulletin:

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns our denials and "pity parties" into acceptance of things and confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude adds meaning to our prayers, makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a clearer vision for our tomorrows." - Melody Beattie (edited)

We must be grateful for the gift and especially for the giver of the gift. Gratitude is a form of returning love to God.

Scriptural admonishments:
Cease not to give thanks,
Eph. 1: 15 - 16,
Live in thanksgiving daily,
Alma 34:38
He who receives all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious,
D&C 78:19
In everything give thanks, D&C 98:1 1 Thes. 5:18). Notice the word "everything." Humbly, we can even be thankful for the tutoring that comes from our trials as they help fashion us in the countenance of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

No comments: