Sunday, May 16, 2010

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah May 5-16-2010

"It is clear that our first priority should go to spiritual learning. Reading the scriptures would come for us before reading history books. Prayer would come before memorizing those Spanish verbs. A temple recommend would be worth more to us than standing first in our graduating class. But it is also clear that spiritual learning would not replace our drive for secular learning." (Elder Henry B. Eyring, "Education for Real Life", CES Fireside for Young Adults, 6 May 2001)

What are some powers and gifts a prophet has?
  • “Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets” (Amos 3:7).
  • They bring us addition light as the world needs it.
  • He represents God on earth.
  • He presides on earth over the high priesthood.
  • He gives an authoritative voice to doctrinal disputes.

Doctrine and Covenants 138

The length of time that Moses served as prophet and the great things that the Lord did through him may have made Joshua insecure and may have made it hard for the people to accept a new prophet.
Joshua 24:15
  15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lordachoose you bthis day whom ye will cserve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my dhouse, we will eserve theLord.

We often just see the "choose ye this day" and the "me and my house will serve the Lord", but what are they choosing if not choosing to serve the Lord.  They are choosing to server other gods, not just choosing to not serve the Lord.  Other gods are anything that keeps us from serving the Lord.

We are constantly in new stations in life and going through different situations, so each time we read the scriptures we may get something different out of them.
  10 Remember that without afaith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith. Trifle not with these things; do not bask for that which you ought not.

“Shortly after I was called as a General Authority, I went to Elder Harold B. Lee for counsel. He listened very carefully to my problem and suggested that I see President David O. McKay. President McKay counseled me as to the direction I should go. I was very willing to be obedient but saw no way possible for me to do as he counseled me to do.

“I returned to Elder Lee and told him that I saw no way to move in the direction I was counseled to go. He said, ‘The trouble with you is you want to see the end from the beginning.’ I replied that I would like to see at least a step or two ahead. Then came the lesson of a lifetime: ‘You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness; then the light will appear and show the way before you’ ” (Elder Boyd K. Packer, “The Edge of the Light,” BYU Today, Mar. 1991, 22–23).


1 Corinthians 2:11
  11 For what man aknoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God bknoweth no man, cbut thedSpirit of God.


If you don't know how to add you can not understand algebra.  So it is with the gospel.  Many things are hard to explain to others until they have an understanding of more basic things.

John 14:26

  26 But the aComforterwhich is the bHoly Ghost, whom the Father will send in my cname, he shall dteach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

No comments: