Sunday, September 26, 2010

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah September 9-26-2010

Doctrine and Covenants 78:18
 18 And ye cannot abear all things now; nevertheless, be of good bcheer, for I will clead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the driches of eeternity are yours.

Lesson material was taken from Elder Jeffery R. Holland’s April 2010 conference talk, “Place No More for the Enemy of My Soul

Most days we all find ourselves assaulted by immoral messages of some kind flooding in on us from every angle. The darker sides of the movie, television, and music industry step further and further into offensive language and sexual misconduct. Tragically, the same computer and Internet service that allows me to do my family history and prepare those names for temple work could, without filters and controls, allow my children or grandchildren access to a global cesspool of perceptions that could blast a crater in their brains forever.”

The phrase “blast a crater in their brains forever” might seem a bit inflammatory, but the things you hear and see can stay in your mind for a very long time much like a crater takes a long, long time to fill in through natural forces.

Lust vs Love
  • Characteristics of Lust
    • Selfish
    • Right now
    • Easy to find
    • Cheap
    • Fleeting - does not endure
    • Leads to regret
    • Immature
    • Distracting
    • Insatiable
    • Erodes trust
  • Characteristics of Love
    • Selfless - giving of self
    • Eternal
    • Mature
    • Takes work to find and maintain
    • When displayed in our countenance we are more successful in life
    • Builds trust from those around us
  • Protection again lust
    • Take a stand when foul things are around us.
    • Remember the sacrament prayer - "Most people in trouble end up crying, ‘What was I thinking?’ Well, whatever they were thinking, they weren’t thinking of Christ. Yet, as members of His Church, we pledge every Sunday of our lives to take upon ourselves His name and promise to ‘always remember him.’”
    • Make the decision quick and before hand.
2 Nephi 4:28
28 Awake, my soul! No longer adroop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the benemy of my soul.

The teacher handed out this list of scriptures and quotes to go with the lesson:
1. Isaiah 22:22
2. Revelation 3:7-8
3. 2 Nephi 9:41
4. 2 Nephi 9:45
5. Isaiah 24:21-22
6. D&C 138:32
7. Isaiah 42:5-7
8. D&C 138:29-37
9. Isaiah 25:6-7
10. Moses 7:26
11. Isaiah 25:7-9
12. Isaiah 25:8
13. 1 Corinthians 15:20-22
14. Alma 11:43-44
15. Quote: The Prophet Joseph Smith said: "When the voice calls for the dead to arise, ... what would be the first joy of my heart? To meet my father, my mother, my brother, my sister; and when they are by my side, I embrace them and they me" (Teachings of the
Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 295-96).
16. Mosiah 3:17
17. Helaman 5:12
18. D&C 50:44

What is spirit prison?  “...a temporary place in the postmortal world for those who died without a knowledge of the truth or those who were disobedient in mortality.” (Gospel Topics, Hell)

A feast - I think of it like being presented with more food than you can consume in one session and yet are well fed.  The same it is with the temple, scripture study, or general  conference.

I go to Golden Coral and I am presented with more than I can eat.  I enjoy it more if I focus on a few items each time I go and don't try to eat it all at once.  Yet at the same time a feast is very focused on consuming and enjoying the material you do choose.

No comments: