Sunday, December 05, 2010

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah December 12-5-2010

Doctrine and Covenants 10:5
5 aPray always, that you may come off bconqueror; yea, that you may conquer Satan, and that you may cescape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work.


Lesson was based on October 2006 conference talk by D. Todd Christofferson, titled Let Us Be Men.

2 Nephi 1:21

21 And now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave, arise from the dust, my sons, and be amen, and be determined in bone mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity;

“Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. ‘Children are an heritage of the Lord’ (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations."

"By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families." (The Family: A Proclamation to the World)


“When I was a boy, I spent most of my evenings reading books. One of my favorites was Hurlbut’s Story of the Bible. Published by a Protestant minister to help teach Bible truths to young people, this book tells 168 stories from the Bible.

“I loved these stories and read them many times. I will share some of my favorites and comment on their teachings and their impact on my life.”


“[Speaking of Abraham and Isaac] As a young man, I saw mostly the adventure in that story, though I was surely impressed with Isaac’s obedience. When I was older, I learned that the experience of Abraham and Isaac was what the scriptures call a type,which is a likeness or reminder of something else. The Book of Mormon prophet Jacob said that the command for Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac was “a similitude of God and his Only Begotten Son.” (Jacob 4:5.)”

A common element in many of my best-loved Bible stories was the way the Lord protected his righteous and faithful sons. When I was young, that was my favorite part of the story of Joseph.”
(Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Bible Stories and Personal Protection, General Conference October 1992)

Children can benefit from scripture study even at a young age.  They are capable of more comprehending than we think.  Even babies can be taught by the spirit.  By reading to them from the scriptures or telling them the stories we invite the spirit to teach them.

From the Bulletin

"A testimony is what 'we know to be true in our minds and in our hearts by the witness of the Holy Ghost (see D&C 8-2). As we profess truth rather than admonish, exhort, or simply share interesting experiences, we invite the Holy Ghost to confirm the verity [truth] of our words. The power of pure testimony (see Alma 4:19) does not come from sophisticated language or effective presentation; rather, it is the result of revelation conveyed by the third member of the Godhead, even the Holy Ghost." Elder David A. Bednar, "More Diligent and Concerned at Home," Ensign, Nov. 2009, 19

No comments: