Sunday, January 30, 2011

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah January 1-30-2011

Happiness in the Family

“Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities.” (The Family: A Proclamation to the World )

Faith
  • First principle.
  • Based on hope, truth, power, and action.
  • Faith is a seed and it does not grow without some work.  It needs to be nourished and watered and heated.
  • Alma 32:21
     21 And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true. 
  • Our faith can be nourished, but it takes work, just as our bodies can receive nourishment, but we have to daily pit food in our mouth.


Prayer
  • An earnest request
  • Moroni 10:3-4
     3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts. 4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. 
  • We have the right to ask.


Repentance
  • A change toward perfection through Christ.
  • Alma 36:16-21
    16 And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.
    17 And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
    18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
    19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
    20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!
    21Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.
  • If our children see us rationalizing our bad choices they will learn to create loop holes in the commandments for themselves. They should see our remorse and our repentance when we make mistakes.


Forgiveness
  • It is mostly to unburden ourselves.
  • When you push someone down a hill you get a little closer to the bottom yourself.


Respect

Love

Compassion

Work/recreation


Nicodemus was a religious leader among the Jews.  He was part of the Sanhedrin.  Possibly similar to a general authority.

Born again - an event that starts a process.
  • Baptism
  • Covenant
  • Repentance
  • No more disposition to do evil
  • Desire to do good continually
  • Mighty change of heart


"...all mortals have been saved from the permanence of death through the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. “For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive” (1 Cor. 15:22). "(Dallin H Oaks, Conference Talk April 1998)

The scriptures indicate being saved is a future event.  -Find scripture references about that

Mark 13:13
13And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Romans 5:9-10
9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
*It says that we SHALL be saved, not that we are saved.

John 15:10

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.  

Matthew 24:13
13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Luke 6:37
  37
Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

One is saved by accepting Christ's atonement and we have to accept it everyday through our actions, not just once.


Missionary that recently returned from Guatemala spoke to us.

In the gospel and this life it is better to be a marathon runner rather than a sprinter.

From the Bulletin
The holy scriptures and the spoken word of the living prophets give emphasis to the fundamental principles and doctrines of the gospel. The reason we return to these foundational principles, to the pure doctrines, is because they are the gateway to truths of profound meaning. They are the door to experiences of sublime importance that would otherwise be beyond our capacity to comprehend. These simple, basic principles are the key to living in harmony with God and man. They are the keys to opening the windows of heaven. They lead us to the peace, joy, and understanding that Heavenly Father has promised to His children who hear and obey Him
My dear brothers and sisters, we would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most. Let us be mindful of the foundational precepts our Heavenly Father has given to His children that will establish the basis of a rich and fruitful mortal life with promises of eternal happiness, They will teach us to do "all these things ... in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that [we] should run faster than [we have] strength. [But] it is expedient that [we] should be diligent, [and] thereby ... win the prize." President DIETER F. UCHTDORF

No comments: