Sunday, August 28, 2011

Church Services This Week at Weber Heights Stake Conference Ogden Utah August 8-28-2011


Stake Conference
President Mark Bishoff, President Weber Heights Stake
We, as a stake, delivered 15 truckloads to the food banks in the area.  President Bishoff ask us for 14.



I had a hard time with this assignment.  I for a while have struggled with why I would send any of my resources to the local food banks that are not governed by the Church with the controls in place that we have that people not just collect the benefits, but that they serve in some way to help them grow and get out of their impoverished condition,  Why not just give everything I can to the Fast Offering fund and let the Church take care of the people?

I quickly determined that since President Bishoff gave us the assignment that I would participate.  He had given specific instructions that we should all bring five to ten dollars of food to our ward building to be place in two pickup trucks or mini vans and those vehicles would be taken to the stake center.

As I pondered the assignment I recalled that I had just increased the percent I contribute to the Fast Offering fund each month.  Perhaps I could deduct whatever I gave for this project, I could deduct from my fast offering contribution the next time.  I think it was clear that this was a call for us to do extra on top of what we were already doing, so my solution made no sense, even though I would’ve felt more like my fast offering fund were being directed by the Church to a specific project.  We don’t deduct our time from our tithing when we serve in this Church, so this felt like it was no different.



President R. Brent Olson, Utah Ogden Mission President
Much like we don't have to understand how technologies work to use them and have them bless us, we don't have to understand how prayer works to know that it does.



Elder Lynn L Summerhays, Area Seventy
Faith is a principle of action.  We need to show out faith not by what we say, but what we do.

The way to vet things done is to get on your knees and ask for help and then get off my knees and get to work.

Elder M. Russell Ballard, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
How is my spiritual growth coming in relation to the requirements needed to get to the celestial kingdom?

Not only was there confusion about religion in Joseph Smith's community, but also in his own home.  Members of his own family belonged to different religions.

People learn, but they often do not experience.  Many understand mentally, but not spiritually.

We need to strengthen our spirit to not just see the physical all the time.

No comments: