Sunday, July 29, 2012

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah 29 July 2012

Ward Council
We should write our testimony in our journals and to others.

How the Ward Council Strengthens the Ward through Temple and Family History Work

“Temple and family history work is not only about redeeming the dead. This work is actually an integral part of one great work— the work of salvation (see Ephesians 1:10). As ward councils focus on the work of salvation, they should consider how temple and family history work can be a resource in accomplishing
the many aspects of the work of salvation.
“Ward councils do the following:
• “Strive to help individuals build testimonies, receive saving ordinances, keep covenants, and become consecrated followers of Christ (see Moroni 6:4–5)” (Handbook 2, 4.4).
• Determine how temple and family history work can help the ward accomplish the work of salvation, including member missionary work, convert retention, activation, and teaching the gospel.” (To Turn the Hearts, p13)

Joint Priesthood/Relief Society Meeting
Lesson on finance based on the pamphlet "One For the Money"

Doctrine and Covenants 29:34
34 Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal; neither any man, nor the children of men; neither Adam, your father, whom I created.


Being in debt is being in bondage.  God does not want his people in bondage.  The banks would have us believe it is freedom.

You can request your credit history for free online once a year.

Sunday School
Alma 36-39
Chapter 36 contains a chiasmus, which is a type of poetic writing.

Poetry is generally done deliberately and it would appear that Alma presents it this way to his son intentionally.

The center point of a chiasmus is the most important part.  The atonement is at the center of the chiasmus in chapter 36.

Alma 36:17-19
17 And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.

Sacrament Service
Another one of the young women reported on girls camp.

One of the camp leaders also spoke.

Doctrine and Covenants 18:10
10 Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;

Doctrine and Covenants 38:27
 27 Behold, this I have given unto you as a parable, and it is even as I am. I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.

Our yw pres spoke about camp too.

We must sacrifice things of value for things of worth.

From the Bulletin:
“Think of the purest, most all-consuming love you can imagine. Now multiply that love by an infinite amount—that is the measure of God’s love for you. 7

“God does not look on the outward appearance. 8 I believe that He doesn’t care one bit if we live in a castle or a cottage, if we are handsome or homely, if we are famous or forgotten. Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass, God’s love encompasses us completely.” (President Dieter F Uchtdorf, “The Love of God”, October 2009 Conference)

No comments: