Sunday, February 01, 2015

Church Services This Week at Ridge Crest Ward Northridge Stake Layton Utah 1 February 2015

Testimony Meeting
Stake Theme: February - Praying daily to know who to invite into your home, then invite them.
Reference Scripture: 3 Nephi 5:13
Reference Talk: Put Your Trust in the Lord - M. Russell Ballard – October 2013
Link to lds.org: https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2013-06-1031-ill-go-where-you-want-
me-to-go?lang=eng

Sunday School
My lesson on How can I learn to see Heavenly Father’s hand in all things?
{
Is there anything you have been studying this week in your gospel studies that you have questions on our would like to share?

I have learned about the sacrament.  The bread has to do with the living Christ and his resurrection.  It reminds us that he was resurrected that we may all be resurrected.  The water has to do with take on Him our sins and our sicknesses and our trials and understanding all that we go through in a very personal way.

We are going to talk today about: How can I learn to see Heavenly Father’s hand in all things?

What are some things you have noticed in your life or the world around you that are evidences that God is real?

"The prophet Alma taught, ‘All things denote there is a God’ (Alma 30:44). Heavenly Father loves us and blesses us daily. If we are observant, we can see evidence of His power and influence in our lives and in the world around us. Though we may not see Him personally, recognizing His hand in all things can strengthen our testimony that He lives."-from the manual

Read the hymn How Great Thou Art #86.  Have them tell what the hymn listed that shows their is a God.

Writing things down like in a journal helps us recognize and remember times and instances where the Lord was seen in our lives.

President Eyring talked of having seen something when he came home from work that was a witness of God in his life and then he had this to say.  He said:

“I took a few steps toward the house, thinking of what he was doing for us, and just as I got to the door, I heard in my mind—not in my own voice—these words: ‘I’m not giving you these experiences for yourself. Write them down.’

“I went inside. I didn’t go to bed. Although I was tired, I took out some paper and began to write. And as I did, I understood the message I had heard in my mind. I was supposed to record for my children to read, someday in the future, how I had seen the hand of God blessing our family.”
“I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.”
My point is to urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God’s kindness. It will build our testimonies. You may not keep a journal. You may not share whatever record you keep with those you love and serve. But you and they will be blessed as you remember what the Lord has done.”
(President Henry B Eyring, O Remember, Remember, October 2007 General Conference)

Read the hymn 241 Count Your Many Blessings.

1. When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

(Chorus)
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.

2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev'ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

3. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.

4. So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

Another thing that can be evidence to us that God is real are his tender mercies.

1 Nephi 1:20
20 And when the Jews heard these things they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had cast out, and stoned, and slain; and they also sought his life, that they might take it away. But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

What is a tender mercy of the Lord?
It is something that the Lord gives to us when we need it so that we are not on our own.

Sometimes we are tempted to shrug off the tender mercies of the Lord as coincidence.

Do any of you have stories from your life that some might consider coincidence, but you know was God helping you?

"Through personal study, observation, pondering, and prayer, I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ." -  Elder Bednar

Doctrine and Covenants 46:15
15 And again, to some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know the differences of administration, as it will be pleasing unto the same Lord, according as the Lord will, suiting his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men.

His mercies are personalized to each one of us for the specific thing that is happening in our lives because God knows us personally and is aware of every moment in our lives and every little thing we need.

“The word chosen in 1 Nephi 1:20 [1 Ne. 1:20] is central to understanding the concept of the Lord’s tender mercies. The dictionary indicates that chosen suggests one who is selected, taken by preference, or picked out. It also can be used to refer to the elect or chosen of God (Oxford English Dictionary Online, second ed. [1989], “Chosen”).

“Some individuals who hear or read this message erroneously may discount or dismiss in their personal lives the availability of the tender mercies of the Lord, believing that “I certainly am not one who has been or ever will be chosen.” We may falsely think that such blessings and gifts are reserved for other people who appear to be more righteous or who serve in visible Church callings. I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are available to all of us and that the Redeemer of Israel is eager to bestow such gifts upon us.” - Elder Bednar
}

Elders Quorum
President Dieter F Uchtdorf October 2014 General Conference talk, “Is It I”
"...our blindness toward our human weaknesses will also make us blind to the divine potential that our Father yearns to nurture within each of us."

It is easier to see the faults in others, than in ourselves.

No comments: