Sunday, October 25, 2015

Church Services This Week at Ridge Crest Ward Northridge Stake Layton Utah 25 October 2015

Sacrament Service 

The stake young men presidency spoke to us.


One of the speakers talked about the Duty to God program.


Fulfilling your duty to God is a lifelong pursuit.


Doctrine and Covenants section 84


Another speaker talked a little about the American civil war and the battle to defend our agendas vs the battle to defend what is right. There were examples of both of these on both sides of the American civil war.


Elder Jeffrey R Holland priesthood session 2011
As President Boyd K. Packer taught this morning, Satan cannot directly take a life. That is one of many things he cannot do. But apparently his effort to stop the work will be reasonably well served if he can just bind the tongue of the faithful.


Alma 53:18-21
 18 Now behold, there were two thousand of those young men, who entered into this covenant and took their weapons of war to defend their country.
 19 And now behold, as they never had hitherto been a disadvantage to the Nephites, they became now at this period of time also a great support; for they took their weapons of war, and they would that Helaman should be their leader.
 20 And they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all—they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.
 21 Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him.
The strippling warriors had not been to war before. They were not hardened warriors, but they did not fear because they had faith in the Lord and faith in the faith of their mothers.


Sunday School
My teaching partner’s lesson on developing and keeping up a relationship with the savior.


Elders Quorum
Teachings of Presidents of the Church; Ezra Taft Benson lesson 20 Feed My Sheep
The lesson talked about a fellow that was not active in church and he was called to be Elders Quorum president.   The guy commented that he would square his life with the Lord and accept the calling.


I find when I am called to a calling in the Church I always feel like I need to strengthen my life in some way to do it.


Youth Fireside
John Hilton III and his wife Lonnie spoke to us


Girls should expect respect and learn to accept the respect.  Do not be haughty when expecting respect and accept it gracefully.


For you, my dear friends, the sky is the limit. You can be excellent in every way. You can be first class. There is no need for you to be a scrub. Respect yourself. Do not feel sorry for yourself. Do not dwell on unkind things others may say about you. Particularly, pay no attention to what some boy might say to demean you. He is no better than you. In fact, he has already belittled himself by his actions. Polish and refine whatever talents the Lord has given you. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life and look for its opportunities, and forever and always be loyal to the Church.“ (President Gordon B Hinckley, “How Can I Become the Woman of Whom I Dream?”, April 2001 General Conference)


“Girls, you have an equally important role.  Remember the wayward woman we discussed earlier?  Your job is to keep your brother from being led astray by her charms.  Please be aware of how easily your actions and glances can stir up lust in a guy’s mind.


“You may not realize this, but we guys most commonly struggle with our eyes.  I think many girls are innocently unaware of the difficulty a guy has in remaining pure when looking at a girl who is dressed immodestly.  Now, I don’t want to dictate your wardrobe, but honestly speaking, I would be blessed if girls’s considered more than fashion when shopping for clothes.  Yes, guys are responsible for maintaining self-control, but you can help by refusing to wear clothing designed to attract attention to your body.


“I know the world tells you that if you have a nice body, you should show it off.  And we men have only helped feed this mentality.  But I think you can play a part in reversing this trend.  A single mom who had recently rededicated her life to Christ told me, ‘I went through my closet and got rid of anything that might have caused a brother in the Lord to stumble.  I asked God to forgive me and to help me protect the purity of those around me.’  Aly from Wisconsin wrote, “I think I’ll have to get rid of over half my wardrobe, because much of what I have is too revealing or tempts me to look at me with impure thoughts.’


“Are you willing to be that radical?  My friend Janelle asks her dad to evaluate every outfit she buys.  She wants a godly man’s opinion of whether or not it’s modest.  It’s not always easy.  There have been many times her dad asked her to return items.  But she doesn’t complain--even in the summer, when it seems impossible to find a modest pair of shorts!  She wants to honor God.


“I know many girls who would look great in shorter skirts or tighter blouses, and they know it.  But they choose to dress modestly.  They take responsibility of guarding their brothers’ eyes.  To these women and other like them, I’m grateful.” (Josh Harris, The book “I Kissed Dating Goodbye”)


If you have to ask this question “is this outfit too…? “  then it probably is.   Whether it is too tight, too short, too wrinkly.


Is there anything in your life that is trapping you the you need to let go?


As we visit with young adults all over the church often they will ask, ‘Well what are the characteristics I should look for in a future spouse?’  – As though they have some checklist of  ‘I need to find someone who has these three or four or five things.’  And I rather forcefully say to them, ‘You are so arrogant –  to think that you are some catch and that you want someone else who has these five things for you.  If you found somebody who had these three or four or five characteristics that you’re looking for what makes you think they’d want to marry you?’
The list is not for evaluating someone else, the list is for you, for me, and what I or you need to become.  And so if there are three primary characteristics that I hope to find in an eternal companion, then those are the three things I oughta be working to become. – Then it will be attractive to someone who has those things.  So my advice is you’re not on a shopping spree looking for the greatest value with a series of characteristics.  You become what you hope your spouse will be and you’ll have a greater likelihood of finding that person.” ( “Conversations: Episode 1:Elder and Sister Bednar“ (original emphasis))
How do you treat your sisters and your mother? The best place to practice the type of spouse you want to be is in your home.


How can I learn to sense even the beginning of sin and so repent early?“ (Elder Henry B Eyring, Do Not Delay, October 1999 General Conference)


In our own time, we have been warned with counsel of where to find safety from sin and from sorrow. One of the keys to recognizing those warnings is that they are repeated.“(Elder Henry B Eyring, “Finding Safety in Counsel, April 1997 General Conference)

No comments: