Sunday, February 22, 2009

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah 2-22-09

Priesthood Opening
Mosiah 2:16
16 Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.

The bishop expressed that you cannot be offended by another person. No one can offend you. No one can "make" you mad. You have your choice. You have control over your own emotions and reactions.

The bishop asked us to pray for Godly love for our families that we home teach.

Elders' Quorum
The lesson was based on a talk by President Henry B. Eyring "Our Hearts Knit as One" from last conference.

Unity increases family strength, congregational strength, and community strength.

People struggle to figure out social issues that the gospel already explains to us.

What would it be like to try to find a church that fits us every time we move or visit somewhere? Do we like the preacher? Do they teach what I believe?

In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we have family no matter where we go. The members of the church there will be teaching the same doctrine and have for the most part similar ideas on social issues.

We have been taught processes to help those in need (job loss, house fire, natural disaster) mostly by just being taught to serve one another and seeing how that is done by those around us in the Church. Our people know how to organize in a disaster situation. We have an organization, a priesthood chain (home teachers, elders' quorum president, bishop, stake president) and a strong women's organization (the relief society).

Elder Eyring shared this, "A second principle to guide our progress to become one is to be humble. Pride is the great enemy of unity. You have seen and felt its terrible effects. Just days ago I watched as two people—good people—began with a mild disagreement. It started as a discussion of what was true but became a contest about who was right. Voices become gradually louder. Faces became a little more flushed. Instead of talking about the issue, people began talking about themselves, giving evidence why their view, given their great ability and background, was more likely to be right."

Sunday School
Doctrine and Covenants and Church History Lesson 8: The Restoration of the Priesthood 41
Keys unlock things whether it is a code like on a map or a puzzle or something that is encrypted whether it is something that has a physical that you have to remove to open a door or that must be unlocked to engaged the power of a vehicle.

Priesthood keys unlock the mysteries and powers of heaven.

Joseph and Oliver were reading about baptism and had questions. They went and prayed for answers. As a result of that John the baptist came to them and gave them the Aaronic Priesthood.
D&C 13: 1
1 Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I aconfer the bPriesthood of Aaron, which holds the ckeys of the ministering of dangels, and of the gospel of erepentance, and of fbaptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of gLevi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in hrighteousness.

Sacrament Service
Prepare for the second coming temporally and spiritually.  Temporally for disasters that will come before.  Spiritually that we may not be shaken by the temporal things to come.  Spiritually that we may be able to assist in his work before and also after he arrives.

Doctrine and Covenants 29:34
  34 Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a alaw which was btemporal; neither any man, nor the children of men; neither Adam, your father, whom I created.

Even our work is spiritual, even though it is necessary for temporal needs.  We should approach everything we do spiritually.  We should also choose an honorable career and jobs within that career that honor our spirits.

Preparations

  • Education
  • Live Within Our Income
  • Save Some Money, Food, and Water for Times of Trial
  • Avoid Unnecessary Debt

“We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary.” (President Gordon B. Hinckley, “To Men of the Priesthood”, October 2002 General Conference)

Many find food storage so overwhelming that they do nothing.  Do something even if it is just a little.  Start with enough for several weeks.  Once you have reached that goal, build on it to a month’s storage and so on.

“Many more people could ride out the storm-tossed waves in their economic lives if they had their year’s supply of food … and were debt-free. Today we find that many have followed this counsel in reverse: they have at least a year’s supply of debt and are food-free.” (Thomas S. Monson, “That Noble Gift—Love at Home,” Church News, May 12, 2001, 7)

From the Bulletin:
"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to “prepare every needful thing” so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others.

We encourage Church members worldwide to prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings.

We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve." - The First Presidency, All Is Safely Gathered In: Family Home Storage, Feb. 2007, 1.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brook
I stumbled across your blog on LDS BLOGS. I thought you mighe be interested in a site my wife and I just built called MormonsMadeSimple.com, which uses simple, explanatory videos to explain the Mormon faith. Feel free to feature any of these videos on your blog, or just share them with non-member friends. We're hoping these videos will be missionary tools to help members share their beliefs. Anyway, sorry to spam your comments section. I couldn't find any contact information for you on your blog.

- Doug & Laurel

The Todd's Life said...

I think this is neat that you do this. I have my own personal "What I learned at church" Journal. I'm always writing in it.
I used to always write in regular journals, but life is busy. I decided that if my posterity was going to learn anything from me, it should be at least what I learned at church.
I have a blog site and I share many Gospel related topics and feelings.
http://bonkagma.blogspot.com

The Todd's Life said...

I think this is neat that you do this. I have my own personal "What I learned at church" Journal. I'm always writing in it.
I used to always write in regular journals, but life is busy. I decided that if my posterity was going to learn anything from me, it should be at least what I learned at church.
I have a blog site and I share many Gospel related topics and feelings.
http://bonkagma.blogspot.com