Sunday, October 14, 2012

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah 14 October 2012

Ward Council
John 21:17
 17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him,Feed my sheep.

“To which Jesus responded (and here again I acknowledge my nonscriptural elaboration), perhaps saying something like: “Then Peter, why are you here? Why are we back on this same shore, by these same nets, having this same conversation? Wasn’t it obvious then and isn’t it obvious now that if I want fish, I can get fish? What I need, Peter, are disciples—and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. “ (Elder Jeffrey R Holland, The First Great Commandment, General Conference October 2012)

The apostles were confused as what to do without the savior.

Handbook 2 14.1, 14.4.6, 14.8
"Inspirational music is an essential part of our church meetings."

“Hymn singing can be an effective way to introduce or reinforce gospel principles taught in the classroom. Leaders should encourage teachers to use the hymns to enhance classroom instruction.”

“Teach your children to love the hymns. Sing them on the Sabbath, in home evening, during scripture study, at prayer time. Sing as you work, as you play, and as you travel together. Sing hymns as lullabies to build faith and testimony in your young ones” (Hymns, x)

If we are fearful of doing missionary work, assess our need to develop charity.

Elders Quorum
The lesson was based on President Monson’s priesthood session talk.from General Conference - See Others as They May Become
The teacher showed an empty toilet paper roll.  People use them for crafts and other projects, but only once they could look past what it is and see what it could become.

"There is absolutely nothing in this world that will provide more comfort and happiness than a testimony of the truth."

"...a woman needs to be told she is beautiful. She needs to be told she is valued. She needs to be told she is worthwhile."

Sunday School
3 Nephi 11-15
How are we changed by our interactions with the savior?
What does a disciple of Christ believe?
How does a disciple of Christ act?

With all of the press we get lately, People want to know what Mormons believe.  The basics of it is repentance and baptism.

Compare 3 Nephi 12 with Matthew 5.

3 Nephi 12:1 - Why does he say baptism with fire and the holy ghost the holy ghost is often called the baptism of fire?

It is possible that saying it two different ways is a teaching mechanism?  It is also possible that it is contrasting the holy ghost's roles of refiner fire and comforter.

Why did he give the law of Moses?
3 Nephi 12:19
19 And behold, I have given you the law and the commandments of my Father, that ye shall believe in me, and that ye shall repent of your sins, and come unto me with abroken heart and a contrite spirit. Behold, ye have the commandments before you, and the law is fulfilled.

Sacrament Service
A mission that recently returned from the Mexico City Mexico North Mission spoke to us.

He spoke on how important the Holy Ghost is.  The Holy Ghost is a member of the godhead.  All members of the Godhead are essential, so if we are living in a way that the Holy Ghost is not as involved in our lives then we are missing out on the completeness of the Godhead and the plan god has for us.

The scripture can not act by themselves.  We must engage them.

“How I pray that we as the servants of the Lord may have charity for mankind, may have patience with those who err, and in kindness and love go forward teaching the simple principles of the gospel of our Lord to the blessing of every soul with whom we come in contact.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1928, 94)

“Your mission … is to … warn the people … in as kind a way as possible that repentance will be the only panacea for the ills of this world.” (George Albert Smith, in Sheri L. Dew, Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography(1987), 184)

No comments: