Sunday, December 23, 2012

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah 23 December 2012

Elders Quorum
Lesson based on elder Holland’s Oct 2012 conference talk.

We are saved by grace, but it requires action to partake of that grace.  We do that through repentance, a broken heart and a contrite spirit. - find scripture

Do we go back to our old life after having a spiritual conversion?  As the Savior said, do we love these more than him?  Do we love our sins, addictions, agendas more than the savior?

“There is almost no group in history for whom I have more sympathy than I have for the eleven remaining Apostles immediately following the death of the Savior of the world. I think we sometimes forget just how inexperienced they still were and how totally dependent upon Jesus they had of necessity been.”

“Quite a staggering prospect for a group of newly ordained elders.”

John 21:15-17
15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon,son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him,Feed my sheep.

I don't know that I have ever fathomed the depth of this conversation.  I had always limited my perception of this conversation as a replaying that Peter had denied the Savior three times and perhaps Peter needed to ponder some on that.

When Elder Holland talked about them going fishing it made me wonder if they hadn't relaxed a bit and went back to their jobs or recreation.  Perhaps because they were overwhelmed.  Perhaps they didn't know what else to do.

I now wonder if part of the reason for the conversation was to emphasize what Peter and the other apostles needed to be doing.  He ate with them helped them have a successful trip, but it now seems that maybe he was getting them working on feeding the sheep.

"Then Peter, why are you here? Why are we back on this same shore, by these same nets, having this same conversation? Wasn’t it obvious then and isn’t it obvious now that if I want fish, I can get fish? What I need, Peter, are disciples—and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith."

Sunday School
Moroni 1-6
Moroni is in hiding because of the warring the Lamanites are doing among themselves.  They are bloodthirsty and they especially hate Nephites.

I hadn't thought about this before today, but did Moroni have a wife and children who were killed by the Lamanites?

After all of that and watching the depravity of the Lamanites, he still loves them, prays for them, writes about them being a chosen people, and details their salvation.

They knew it was true because it was according the commandments of Christ - Moroni 4

It was pointed out that priesthood meeting starts with business with the entire priesthood to go over before the lesson.  On the other hand, relief society and young women meet separate from the beginning.  This is due to the entire priesthood having responsibilities.

In our homes it is the priesthood holder's responsibility to lead.  It is not a power thing.  It is responsibility thing.  It reminds men to take responsibility for their lives.  For their family.  For their neighborhood.

When a wife lovingly expresses her expectation that her husband will take responsibility in their family, he will become stronger and his love for her will increase.

No comments: