Sunday, December 30, 2012

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah 30 December 2012

I was sick today, so I got no notes, but my wife brought some notes home for me that I have included here.

Sunday School
Consider, for example, the Savior’s benediction upon his disciples even as he moved toward the pain and agony of Gethsemane and Calvary. On that very night, the night of the greatest suffering that has ever taken place in the world or that ever will take place, the Savior said, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. … Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).


I submit to you, that may be one of the Savior’s commandments that is, even in the hearts of otherwise faithful Latter-day Saints, almost universally disobeyed; and yet I wonder whether our resistance to this invitation could be any more grievous to the Lord’s merciful heart. I can tell you this as a parent: as concerned as I would be if somewhere in their lives one of my children were seriously troubled or unhappy or disobedient, nevertheless I would be infinitely more devastated if I felt that at such a time that child could not trust me to help or thought his or her interest was unimportant to me or unsafe in my care. In that same spirit, I am convinced that none of us can appreciate how deeply it wounds the loving heart of the Savior of the world when he finds that his people do not feel confident in his care or secure in his hands or trust in his commandments. (Jeffrey R. Holland, “Come unto Me”, Ensign April 1998)

“I would like to urge every man and woman … and every boy and girl who is old enough to read to again read the Book of Mormon during this coming year. This was written for the convincing of the Jew and the Gentile that Jesus is the Christ. There is nothing we could do of greater importance than to have fortified in our individual lives an unshakable conviction that Jesus is the Christ, the living Son of the living God. That is the purpose of the coming forth of this remarkable and wonderful book. ((Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley [1997], 44)

“No member of this Church can stand approved in the presence of God who has not seriously and carefully read the Book of Mormon” (Joseph Fielding Smith, in Conference Report, Oct. 1961, 18)

“The Book of Mormon is studied in our Sunday School and seminary classes every fourth year. This four-year pattern, however, must not be followed by Church members in their personal and family study. We need to read daily from the pages of the book that will get a man ‘nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book’ (History of the Church, 4:461)” (President Ezra Taft Benson, in Conference Report, Oct. 1988, 3; or Ensign, Nov. 1988, 4).

“Every Latter-day Saint should make the study of this book a lifetime pursuit.” (Ensign, May 1975, p. 65).

Sacrament Service
Prayers
Great prayers take a lot of effort.  We need to meditate and ponder during our prayers.

Be honest and sincere in your prayers.

We can pray at anytime and anywhere.

The Lord taught that we should pray morning and evening.

You can not have a testimony of something if you are not doing it.

Study
Set goals to live what you are learning.

Write in a journal when you study the gospel/scriptures.

Love/Service
Love leads us to action.

Study the scriptures/gospel, pray, and love everyday.

Make the effort, it will take you to the end.

The Prophet
If the prophet can do his calling, then you can fulfill your calling as _________________.

It’s all the little things that keeps evil at bay.  Little things like prayer, doing your callings at church and home, going to your meetings, reading the scriptures.

See others as they may become .

Strengthen your testimony by doing the little things.

Others see what you do and learn from your testimony.

Pray for the prophet daily and for your family.

From The Bulletin
“‘If ye love me, keep my commandments,’14 Jesus said. So we have neighbors to bless, children to protect, the poor to lift up, and the truth to defend. We have wrongs to make right, truths to share, and good to do. In short, we have a life of devoted discipleship to give in demonstrating our love of the Lord.  Elder Jeffrey R Holland

No comments: