Sunday, August 28, 2022

Church Services This Week at Oak Ridge Ward Layton North Stake Layton Utah 28 Aug 2022

Sacrament Service

First Speaker 

3 Nephi 27:23

23 Write the things which ye have seen and heard, save it be those which are forbidden.


Matthew 7

13 ¶ Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.


1 Nephi 15:24

24 And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.


Psalm 119:115

115 Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.


Psalm 119

35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.


Psalm 119

47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.

48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.


Psalm 119

103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!


“when obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power” (Ezra Taft Benson, quoted in Donald L. Staheli, “Obedience—Life’s Great Challenge," Ensign, May 1998, 82).


Next Speaker 

Words of Prophets reveal God's Divine character. 


Psalm 119:105

105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.


Psalm 119

2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.


Next Speaker 

"Oh, how we all need the healing the Redeemer can provide. Mine is a message of hope for you who yearn for relief from heavy burdens that have come through no conscious act of your own while you have lived a worthy life. It is based on principles embodied in the teachings of the Savior. Your challenge may be a serious physical disability, a struggle with lingering illness, or a daily wrestle with a life-threatening disease. It may have roots in the death of a loved one, the anguish caused by another bound by sin, or come from abuse in any of its evil forms. Whatever the cause, I testify that lasting relief is available on conditions established by the Lord." (Elder Richard G. Scott, “To Be Healed”, April 1994 General Conference)


2 Corinthians 12

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.


Mosiah 24

14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.


DnC 121


Elders Quorum 

The lesson was based on Elder Bednar’s April 2022 General Conference talk, “But We Heeded Them Not”.


“Fear not, though the enemy deride;

“Courage, for the Lord is on our side.

“We will heed not what the wicked may say,

“But the Lord alone we will obey.” (“Let Us All Press On”, Hymn 243)


Sometimes we end up in the great and spacious building when we scorn those outside the Church or who leave the Church. 


DnC 131:1-4

1 In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;

2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

3 And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.

4 He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase.


DnC 20:22

22 [Jesus] suffered temptations but gave no heed unto them.


"And to each of you who has made temple covenants, I plead with you to seek—prayerfully and consistently—to understand temple covenants and ordinances. Spiritual doors will open. You will learn how to part the veil between heaven and earth, how to ask for God’s angels to attend you, and how better to receive direction from heaven. Your diligent efforts to do so will reinforce and strengthen your spiritual foundation." (President Russell M. Nelson, “The Temple and Your Spiritual Foundation”, October 2021 General Conference)


"Petitioning Heavenly Father for the blessings we desire in our personal lives is good and proper. However, praying earnestly for others, both those whom we love and those who despitefully use us, is also an important element of meaningful prayer. Just as expressing gratitude more often in our prayers enlarges the conduit for revelation, so praying for others with all of the energy of our souls increases our capacity to hear and to heed the voice of the Lord." (Elder David A. Bednar, “Pray Always”, October 2008 General Conference)


What is meaningful prayer?


No comments: