Sunday, August 09, 2009

Church Services This Week at Sullivan Hollow Second Ward Weber Heights Stake Ogden Utah 8-9-09

The prophet Joseph Smith had a 3rd grade education and yet he was a mayor, a judge, a military leader, and an editor all at the same time.

"I found that there was a great clash in religious sentiment; if I went to one society they referred me to one plan, and another to another; each one pointing to his own particular creed as the
summum bonum of perfection. Considering that all could not be right, and that God could not be the author of so much confusion, I determined to investigate the subject more fully, believing that if God had a Church it would not be split up into factions, and that if He taught one society to worship one way, and administer in one set of ordinances, He would not teach another, principles which were diametrically opposed." (Teachings of the Presidents of the Church Joseph Smith p.438 first paragraph)

In the early days they sold the Book of Mormon to cover the price of printing. How awkward is missionary work today at times when we give the Book of Mormon away for free? How much more awkward would it be to ask for money for it.

"Although persecution may rage against the Church, nothing can stop the progress of truth." (Teaching of the Presidents of the Church Joseph Smith p.441 Last Heading) Do we hold as true in our lives? Does trial make us waver? Does life beat upon us and yet nothing can stop us from clinging to and living the truth?

“Be fiercely loyal one to another” (President Gordon B. Hinckley, Ensign, Feb. 1999, 4)

Helaman 5:12
12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the arock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty cstorm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Just like with icebergs, we often can only see a small part of the dangers in choices we have in life. This is why Father has given us a detailed plan to help us avoid problems.

D&C 88:15-16
15 And the aspirit and the bbody are the csoul of man.
16 And the
aresurrection from the dead is the redemption of the soul.
I gave a talk, which I have included here below.
"One of my favorite scriptures from the life of the Savior is a conversation Jesus had with Peter after many people were leaving the Savior because of being offended by the truths that he shared with them. It is found in John 6:60,66-68.

"Verse 60 starts it off with, "Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?" He told them there was more revealed by God than the law of Moses.
"Many today are offended when we say we have living apostles and priesthood authority and that there is more revealed by God than what is in the Bible.

"Larry Hiller said his June Ensign article, Hope: The Misunderstood Sister, 'For me, things I don’t understand about the gospel are like pieces of a larger puzzle I’m working on. If I don’t see where they fit, I put them aside and work on other parts of the picture. From time to time I pick them up and look at them. If I still don’t see how they fit, I put them aside again. I have already received a witness that the whole picture—the restored gospel—is true and complete, so I don’t worry about the pieces that haven’t come together for me yet. They will.'

"There are things that confuse me at times, but show me another church that has continuing revelation, the same structure as the church Christ established, and that holds me accountable when I do things that are wrong.

"Verses 66-69 continues, "66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God."

"If I believe the critics of the Church or cave to my own weaknesses and I left the Church where else would I go? The Lord has already given me the words of eternal life.

"I joined the Church when I was 14 with my 9 year old brother and my parents. The only thing I knew when I was baptized was that I did not want to be baptized by myself later if I figured out it was true, so I go baptized with the rest of my family.

"When I joined the Church I did not know if it was true. I know now. We have been given the words of eternal life."
{End of My Talk}

Obedience Brings the Lord's Promises "Becoming unspotted from the world is a promise to those who keep the Sabbath holy (see D&C 59:9; Exodus 31:13). Divine guidance and inspiration are promised to those who 'feast upon the words of Christ' (2 Nephi 32:3) and who 'liken all scriptures' unto themselves (1 Nephi 19:23).

"The Lord also promised that 'whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you' (3 Nephi 18:20). We are promised that the Holy Ghost will be our constant companion when we 'let virtue garnish [our] thoughts unceasingly' (see D&C 121:45,46). We can claim the spiritually liberating promise of fasting, which will 'loose the bands of wickedness,' unto our 'heavy burdens,' and 'break every yoke' (Isaiah 58:6)."
Elder Spencer J. Condie, "Claim the Exceeding Great and Precious Promises," Ensign, Nov. 2007, 16.

No comments: