Sunday, November 12, 2017

Church Services This Week at Oak Ridge Ward Layton North Stake Layton Utah 12 Nov 2017

Bulletin 

“May we choose to build up within ourselves a great and powerful faith which will be our most effective defense against the designs of the adversary…” (President Thomas S. Monson, “Choices,” Ensign, May 2016, 86.)


Sacrament Service 

First Speaker

Gratitude is a way to show love.


Next Speaker

President Monson talk, “Attitude of Gratitude”


“Bobbie the Wonder Dog” from talk “Yearning for Home” by Dieter F Uchtdorf


“When the challenges of mortality come, and they come for all of us, it may seem hard to have faith and hard to believe. At these times only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Atonement can bring us peace, hope, and understanding. Only faith that He suffered for our sakes will give us the strength to endure to the end” (Elder Robert D Hales, “Finding Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2004, 73).


Next Speaker

Article of Faith 11

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.


Display the pure love of Christ with those that believe differently than we do.


“As we learn to become inheritors of all our Father has, the gospel mentors us to look beyond what we see. To look beyond what we see, we must look at others through the eyes of our Savior. The gospel net is filled with people in all their variety. We can’t fully understand the choices and psychological backgrounds of people in our world, Church congregations, and even in our families, because we rarely have the whole picture of who they are.” (Elder W. Craig Zwick, “Lord, Wilt Thou Cause That My Eyes May Be Opened”, October 2017 General Conference)


Moroni 7

45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.


Sunday School 

Teaching in the Savior's Way 

Diligent Learning 

It is not about what I can teach my students. It is about what we can get them to do. We are to teach people have to act and inspire them to do so. 


“Giving a man a fish feeds him for one meal. Teaching a man to fish feeds him for a lifetime. As parents and gospel instructors, you and I are not in the business of distributing fish; rather, our work is to help our children learn “to fish” and to become spiritually steadfast.” (Elder David A. Bednar, “Watching with All Perseverance”, April 2010 General Conference)


Gospel study once a week is not enough. 


How might I use class time differently because I see the home as the center of gospel learning? 


If you don't participate then you don't appreciate.


Elders Quorum 

My lesson on Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  Gordon B Hinckley, Chapter 22.

{

Today we are in Chapter 22 of the Gordon B Hinckley manual.  We are going to talk about Reaching Out With Love to New Converts and Less-Active Members.


I am going to give you a little bit of my perspective as one who was a “convert baptism”.  After that I became truly converted through opportunities that were presented to me through fellowshipping.


I joined the Church when I was fourteen. Fellowship was one of the biggest things that solidified me in the Church. Some fellowshipping was deliberate and some was just people being friends.


I shared with the class several examples of fellowshipping in my early years in the Church.


From the Life of Gordon B Hinckley.  

Starting at…

“While serving as a missionary in the British Isles, my companion and I taught, and it was my pleasure to baptize, a young man. He was well educated. He was refined. He was studious. I was so proud of this gifted young man who had come into the Church. I felt he had all of the qualifications someday to become a leader among our people.


“He was in the course of making the big adjustment from convert to member. For a short period before I was released, mine was the opportunity to be his friend. Then I was released to return home. He was given a small responsibility in the branch in London. He knew nothing of what was expected of him. He made a mistake. The head of the organization where he served was a man I can best describe as being short on love and strong on criticism. In a rather unmerciful way, he went after my friend who had made the simple mistake.

“The young man left our rented hall that night smarting and hurt. . . . He said to himself, ‘If that is the kind of people they are, then I am not going back.’


“He drifted into inactivity. The years passed. . . . When I was in England [again], I tried desperately to find him. . . . I came home and finally, after a long search, was able to track him down.


“I wrote to him. He responded but with no mention of the gospel. “When next I was in London, I again searched for him. The day I was to leave, I found him. I called him, and we met in the underground station. He threw his arms around me as I did around him. I had very little time before I had to catch my plane, but we talked

briefly and with what I think was a true regard for one another. He gave me another embrace before I left. I determined that I would never lose track of him again. . . .


“The years passed. I grew older as did he. He retired from his work and moved to Switzerland. On one occasion when I was in Switzerland, I went out of my way to find the village where he lived. We spent the better part of the day together—he, his wife, my wife, and myself. We had a wonderful time, but it was evident that the fire of faith had long since died. I tried every way I knew, but I could not find a way to rekindle it. I continued my correspondence. I sent him books, magazines, recordings of the Tabernacle Choir, and other things for which he expressed appreciation.


“He died a few months ago. His wife wrote me to inform me of this. She said, ‘You were the best friend he ever had.’


“Tears coursed my cheeks when I read that letter. I knew I had failed. Perhaps if I had been there to pick him up when he was first knocked down, he might have made a different thing of his life. I think I could have helped him then. I think I could have dressed the wound from which he suffered. I have only one comfort: I tried.

I have only one sorrow: I failed.”


Just as Elder Bednar has counseled us to be diligent and concerned at home, I want you to know what a difference you can make in the course of someone’s life in being diligent and concerned in your fellowshipping.

}

No comments: