Sunday, May 09, 2021

Church Services This Week at Oak Ridge Ward Layton North Stake Layton Utah 9 May 2021

Sacrament Service 

First Speaker

Comparison of yourself to others is only useful so far as it makes us stronger, otherwise 


comparison is the thief of joy.  


For example, if I am listening to a eulogy of someone’s father.  If I compare their life to my life, I could get depressed that I wasn’t that kind of father or that I did not have the kind of father they were.


That kind of comparison is unhealthy.


On the other hand, if I determine that I want to incorporate some of those traits into my life and make positive changes, then that comparison was healthy.


We can feel a moment of guilt or sadness to instigate change in us, but we shouldn't stay in that moment long term. 

When you marinate meat, you leave it in there long enough for it to change.  You don't leave it in there until it rots.  Shortly, you take the meat out of the marinade and cook it and enjoy the change.


Feel then Act then Change then have Joy then Repeat.


Next Speaker

John 19:25-27

25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Proverbs 31:10-31

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies…

  • A virtuous woman is a symbol of Christ.

  • Noone is the virtuous woman every minute of every day.  One should strive to return to this standard when one varies from that standard.


“Brethren, your first and foremost duty as a bearer of the priesthood is to love and care for your wife. Become one with her. Be her partner. Make it easy for her to want to be yours. No other interest in life should take priority over building an eternal relationship with her. Nothing on TV, a mobile device, or a computer is more important than her well-being.”

...

“Pray to have your heart attuned to your wife’s heart. Seek to bring her joy. Seek her counsel, and listen. Her input will improve your output.” (President Russell M. Nelson, We Can Do Better and Be Better, April 2019 General Conference)


“Let me be very clear about this: if the world loses the moral rectitude of its women, the world will never recover.”


Sunday School 

Dnc 46-48

Having the spirit in a class or meeting is stronger when we come prepared. 


Increasing our faith takes work. 

"Your mountains may be loneliness, doubt, illness, or other personal problems. Your mountains will vary, and yet the answer to each of your challenges is to increase your faith. That takes work. Lazy learners and lax disciples will always struggle to muster even a particle of faith." (President Russell M. Nelson, Christ Is Risen; Faith in Him Will Move Mountains, April 2021 General Conference)


People should feel that they are invited to be in your group or at church without specifically being invited. 


We should be able to talk to a smoker, even if we don't smoke. We should be able to talk to a person that comes to church in jeans, even though we are in a suit. We don't have to change our standard of behavior or dress to love someone that has a different standard. 


Jacob 5:47

47 But what could I have done more in my vineyard? Have I slackened mine hand, that I have not nourished it? Nay, I have nourished it, and I have digged about it, and I have pruned it, and I have dunged it; and I have stretched forth mine hand almost all the day long, and the end draweth nigh. And it grieveth me that I should hew down all the trees of my vineyard, and cast them into the fire that they should be burned. Who is it that has corrupted my vineyard?


Christ served the poor and needy.  Are we not all poor and needy.


No comments: