Sunday, July 16, 2023

Church Services This Week at Oak Ridge Ward Layton North Stake Layton Utah July 16, 2023

Sacrament Service 

First Speaker

“Early in my training as a cardiologist, I learned to use a stethoscope to listen to the human heart. My mentors taught me to eliminate distractions around me and ensure the room was quiet. They taught me to practice and tune my ears to what I was trying to hear.

“In a similar manner, we must practice and tune our ears to hear the Holy Ghost. It doesn’t just happen. Even as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, I was not issued a hardwire to heaven. It still requires individual hard work for me to receive inspiration.

“Having been retired from my career as a cardiologist for many years, I am not as good today at using a stethoscope as when I was a practicing doctor. This is because I don’t use that skill every day anymore. If we get casual about personal acts of private devotion or daily repentance, if we get casual about our scripture study, if we get casual about not wanting to ask God questions, we lose our ability to hear the Holy Ghost.” (Elder Dale G. Renlund, “The Gift of the Holy Ghost”, Inspiration action of the Church’s website)

“I suppose the guide could give you long lists of clothes you shouldn’t wear, words you shouldn’t say, and movies you shouldn’t watch. But would that really be helpful in a global church? Would such an approach truly prepare you for a lifetime of Christlike living?” (Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Jesus Christ Is the Strength of Youth”, October 2022 General Conference)


“I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves.” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (2007), 284.)


Mosiah 4

29 And finally, I cannot tell you all the things whereby ye may commit sin; for there are divers ways and means, even so many that I cannot number them.

30 But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not.


“Too many people consider repentance as punishment—something to be avoided except in the most serious circumstances. But this feeling of being penalized is engendered by Satan. He tries to block us from looking to Jesus Christ,3 who stands with open arms,4 hoping and willing to heal, forgive, cleanse, strengthen, purify, and sanctify us.” (President Russell M. Nelson, “We Can Do Better and Be Better”, April 2019 General Conference)


Repent daily.


Mosiah 26

30 Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me.


“Is it wrong to have questions about the Church? How can I find answers? Having questions is not a sign of weakness or lack of faith. In fact, asking questions can help build faith. The Restoration of the gospel started when 14-year-old Joseph Smith asked questions with faith. Seek answers in the scriptures, in the words of God’s prophets, from your leaders and faithful parents, and from God Himself. If answers don’t come right away, trust that you will learn line upon line. Keep living by what you already know, and keep seeking for truth.” (“For the Strength of Youth”, “Truth Will Make You Free”)


Next Speaker

“I know our Heavenly Father’s love for you is real and unending. It is most powerfully manifest through the grace of His Son, Jesus Christ. I bless you that the love of God will envelop you as you love and strive to serve Him. I bless you that you will feel His love and that it will become the most powerful influence in your life. I know and can assure you that your Heavenly Father lives, as does His Son, our resurrected Lord, and as does His messenger of grace, the Holy Spirit. I know it and pray that you will fully come to know it.” (Elder D. TODD CHRISTOFFERSON, “The First Commandment First”, BYU Speech March 22, 2022)


“Now may I offer an important note of caution. An erroneous assumption could be made that if a little of something is good, a lot must be better. Not so! Overdoses of needed medication can be toxic. Boundless mercy could oppose justice. So tolerance, without limit, could lead to spineless permissiveness.” (Elder Russell M. Nelson, “Teach Us Tolerance and Love”, April 1994 General Conference)


2 Nephi 9

28 O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.


Sunday School 

Acts 6-9

1 Nephi 16

2 And it came to pass that I said unto them that I knew that I had spoken hard things against the wicked, according to the truth; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center.


No comments: