Sunday, March 17, 2019

Church Services This Week at Oak Ridge Ward Layton North Stake Layton Utah 17 Mar 2019

Sacrament Service 

Bulletin 

“Love is the most powerful force in the world.” - Dallin H Oaks


Hymn 134 - I Believe in Christ - This hymn comes directly from the heart of apostle Bruce R McConkie. Members of the Church first heard the words she. Elder McConkie shared them as part of his general conference address. When our current 1985 hymn book was being considered, John Longhurst (who was the organist for the tabernacle) made the beautiful and memorable music for its consideration. It's now one of the most beloved among members of Christ's church for its stirring testimonial. 


First Speaker

Someone that recently returned from serving in the Massachusetts Boston Mission spoke to us.


They talked about temples being far apart in New England.


Moroni 7

33 And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me.


The words to hymn 129 Where Can I Turn for Peace?


Next Speaker

DnC 1

38 What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.


February 1835 - the calling of the 12 in the Latter-days.


“I was walking several steps ahead of Grandpa when he stopped me and said: ‘Wait a moment, Allie, I want to tell you something. It was right here that the Lord Jesus Christ appeared to me at the time of the death of President Woodruff. He instructed me to go right ahead and reorganize the First Presidency of the Church at once and not wait as had been done after the death of the previous presidents, and that I was to succeed President Woodruff.’”

...

“I related this experience in the Eighteenth Ward sacramental service. After the meeting Elder Arthur Winter told me he also had heard my father tell of the Savior’s appearance to him in the temple instructing him not only to reorganize the First Presidency at once but also to select the same counselors that President Woodruff had, Presidents George Q. Cannon and Joseph F. Smith.”


My thoughts

{

I sometimes ponder why we don’t have more documented appearances of the Father or the Son since the early days of the Church and as we read about in the scriptures.


This account from President Woodruff’s granddaughter seems to fit well with what I have observed with when people see the Father or the Son.


The Father seems to only appear to testify of the Son.  The Son seems to only appear to give doctrine or set the order of administration.

}


The speaker referenced the movie “The Windows of Heaven.


They also referenced an April 1990 General Conference Elder Russell M Nelson talk.


Sunday School 

The apostles are supposed to find individuals. The apostles are supposed to testify of Christ crucified. 


The Savior told the people to go home and ponder and pray on his words. Often we have to take counsel we have received and sincerely ask God about that counseling order for us to comprehend it. 


Hosea 6:6

6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.


3 Nephi 9:18-20

18 I am the light and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.

19 And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.

20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.


Matthew 12:11-12

11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?

12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.


Principles connect and give relationships to rules and help to understand why the rules exist.


No comments: