Sunday, August 13, 2023

Church Services This Week at Oak Ridge Ward Layton North Stake Layton Utah Aug 13, 2023

Sacrament Service 

First Speaker 

Not being attentive can cause us to lose the trust of others. You can lose trust in an instant. It can take a long time to gain trust back. 


Next Speaker 

They said the talk was based on President Dieter F Uchtdor’s talk “The Gift of Grace” from 2015.


Grace is a gift, enabling, and healing.


“I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,

“Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.” (“I Stand All Amazed”, Hymn 193)


“A powerful expression of [the love of Jesus Christ] is what the scriptures often call the grace of God—the divine assistance and endowment of strength by which we grow from the flawed and limited beings we are now into exalted beings of ‘truth and light, until [we are] glorified in truth and [know] all things.’” - From President Uchtdorf’s talk.


Being born again means being changed.


Next Speaker

There are many different definitions of Grace.  It can be an enabling power.  It can be a forgiving power.


“It is through the grace of the Lord Jesus, made possible by His atoning sacrifice, that mankind will be raised in immortality, every person receiving his body from the grave in a condition of everlasting life. It is likewise through the grace of the Lord that individuals, through faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ and repentance of their sins, receive strength and assistance to do good works that they otherwise would not be able to maintain if left to their own means. This grace is an enabling power that allows men and women to lay hold on eternal life and exaltation after they have expended their own best efforts.” (Bible Dictionary, “Grace”)


We shouldn’t feel bad about needing the atonement of Jesus Christ.


“You have moments when you want to be better than you have ever been. Those feelings may be triggered by seeing a person or a family living in a way that lifts your heart with a yearning to live that way, too. The longing to be better may come from reading the words of a book or even from hearing a few bars of music. For me, it has come in all those ways, and more.” (Henry B Eyreng, “Come unto Christ”, Speech at BYU October 29, 1989)


1 Corinthians 13

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.


Moroni 10:32-33

32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.


Elders Quorum 

Part of the lesson was based on Mark A Bragg’s talk from last conference, “Christlike Poise”

"My wonderful father was an All-America basketball player for UCLA under legendary Coach John Wooden. They remained close throughout my father’s life, and occasionally Coach and Mrs. Wooden would come to our home for dinner. He was always happy to talk to me about basketball or anything else on my mind. Once I asked him what advice he had for me as I entered my senior year of high school. Always the teacher, he said, ‘Your father told me that you have joined the Church of Jesus Christ, so I know that you have faith in the Lord. With that faith be sure to have poise in every situation. Be a good man in a storm.’"


No comments: